The purpose of the Executive Assistant to the President & CEO will be to provide executive support to the President and Chief Executive Officer. The Executive Assistant serves as the primary point of contact for internal and external communities on all matters pertaining to the Office of the President and CEO. The Executive Assistant also serves as a liaison to the senior leadership team; organizes and coordinates executive initiatives, external relations efforts; and oversees special projects. The Executive Assistant must be creative and enjoy working within a small, entrepreneurial environment that is mission-driven, results-driven and community oriented. The incumbent in this role will be required to exercise excellent judgment in a variety of situations, with strong written and verbal communication, administrative, and organizational skills. The Executive Assistant will be required to manage competing priorities to successful completion while adhering to tight deadlines. The Executive Assistant will also be required to work as an effective partner to Human Resources. The incumbent must be able to work independently on projects, from conception to completion, under pressure at times to handle a wide variety of activities and confidential matters with discretion.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Completes a comprehensive variety of administrative tasks for the President & CEO including: managing an exceptionally active calendar; completing expense reports; composing and preparing correspondence to include those of a confidential nature; arranging complex and detailed travel plans, itineraries, and agendas; and compiling documents for travel-related meetings.
- Plans, coordinates and ensures the President and CEO’s schedule is followed and respected.
- Acts as the “gatekeeper” and “gateway” to the CEO while managing direct access to the
President and CEO’s time and office.
- Communicates directly, and on behalf of the President and CEO, with company staff,
stakeholders, clients, and others.
- Researches, prioritizes, and follows up on incoming issues and concerns addressed to the
President, including those of a sensitive or confidential nature and determines appropriate
course of action, referral, and/or response.
- Follows up on contacts made by the President and supports the cultivation of ongoing
- Edits all, and creates acknowledgement letters from the President as requested.
- Provides a bridge for smooth communication between the President and CEO’s office and internal departments; demonstrating leadership to maintain credibility, trust and support with senior management staff.
- Ensures that the President and CEO’s biography is kept updated and responds to requests for materials regarding the President and the organization in general.
- Works closely and effectively with the President and CEO by acting as a “barometer,” having a sense for the issues taking place in the environment and keeping the President and CEO updated.
- Provides leadership to build relationships crucial to the success of the organization, and manages a variety of special projects for the President and CEO, some of which may have organizational impact.
- Successfully completes critical aspects of deliverables with a hands-on approach, including drafting acknowledgement letters, personal correspondence, and other tasks that facilitate the President and CEO’s ability to effectively lead the company.
- Prioritizes conflicting necessities; handles matters expeditiously, proactively, and follows- through on projects to successful completion, often with deadline pressures.
Senior Leadership Support
- Serves as the President’s administrative liaison to Senior Leadership Team (SLT).
- Participates as an adjunct member of the SLT including coordinating agendas, scheduling
and attending meetings, off-sites, and all- staff meetings.
- Represents the President in designated meetings as required.
- Assists in coordinating the agenda of SLT meetings. Prepares an account of the meetings
and designates and follows up on assigned action items.
- Maintains discretion and confidentiality in relationships with the SLT.
- Edits and completes first drafts for written communications to external stake holders.
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration or similar.
- A minimum of five to ten years of experience supporting C-Level Executives, preferably in a
small, entrepreneurial environment.
- A minimum of five (5) years of experience independently managing strategic initiatives in
support of the C-Level office.
- Advanced MS Office proficiency (Email, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and SharePoint).
- Strong proficiency working with Virtual meeting platforms: Zoom, Adobe Connect, WebEx.
- Demonstrated ability to achieve high performance goals and meet deadlines in a fast paced environment.
- Forward looking thinker, who actively seeks opportunities and proposes solutions.
- Demonstrated ability to provide superior client service and build long-lasting relationships.
- Proven ability to handle confidential information with discretion, be adaptable to various
competing demands, and demonstrate the highest level of customer/client service and
- High accuracy and attention to detail.
- Strong sense of organization and time management skills.
- Strong technical aptitude.
- Ability to work autonomously.
- Strong sense of urgency while remaining calm under pressure.
- Ability to troubleshoot for effective resolution.
- Self-starter who can take appropriate initiative to drive for results.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong business acumen and maturity.
- Able to collaborate effectively and positively interact with all levels of the organization.
- Resourceful, creative and open to new ideas.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the Executive Assistant to the President & CEO position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Primarily works in an office environment with a desk, chair and quality lighting.
- Frequently required to sit for extended periods of time, reach with hands, fingers and arms, as
well as speak and hear clearly.
- Occasionally required to stand, walk, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
- May infrequently lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision,
depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- The noise level in the work environment is typically low to moderate.
Limitations and Disclaimer
The above position description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for the Executive Assistant to the President & CEO position.
All job requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees.
This position description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by their supervisor in compliance with Federal and State Laws.
Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills and/ or abilities. To perform this position successfully, the employee must possess the abilities or aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently. Continued employment remains on an “at-will” basis.